The masterclass reveals a great part of my own experience, based on practice and experimention, fulfil with lectures and sharing with collegues and chemists.
A theorical part will help trainees to understand the mechanism of chemical reactions in order to anticipate the different steps of varnishing.
We will focus on varnish preparation, cooking and application.
The trainees will receive matured varnishes in order to start varnishing from the first day.
These varnishes are prepared on the same basis of those we will be making.
Coming with an already stained instrument (or with a ground) is recommanded. A protocole can be sent by e-mail if needed.
At the end of the week, each trainee will carry home a bottle of each varnish made during the course.
Theoritical part :
wood finishing and ground
Relationship between ground and varnish
- Characteristics and finishing of the varnish surface
- The different pigments used in violin varnish
- Sanding and polishing
- Reflection and shine
- The ustensils and the impact on cooking
- Defects, problems and possible solutions
- Initial stage (if not already done)
. Wood finishing / Staining
- Ground (if not already done)
- Varnish making
- How to prepare and improve drying oils
- Cooking of different type of resins
- Natural colorants used as ingredients in the cookings
- Differents type of solvants
- Filtering and storage
- Drying of varnish coats
- Preparation and mixing of pigments in a medium
- Brushes choice according to viscosity
- Finishing work for a desired shine, according to the surface state
5. Drying and polymerisation
- Ventilation / light
Adress of the formation:
Logis de Flamenac, 25 route des grands champs 16110 PRANZAC